Friday, October 3, 2008

Introducing Our Ladies of Productivity

For whatever reason, I can't stop drawing them.  It started in June, I was drawing all day in order to get rid of an artists' block.  After more beer I'd want to drink in the afternoon, sketches of fat girls in gym class, clouds, stars and a telephone, these women came unannounced.  
The only explanation that I can come up with is that I had seen a little nun at the Italian Festival, who was dressed the same way and I was taken with how she looked. 
 When I was in Catholic elementary school, the nuns that I saw wore black.  Later, I found that this is supposed to signify that they are 'dead to the world' and are brides of Christ.  Seeing this woman who had taken the same vows dressed in white seemed so joyful and it made her look almost like a fairy.  
The facial coverings are a resolution for handling the face, because lately I haven't been satisfied with what I've been coming up with.  Also, I find it more interesting to draw and it allows me to convey their emotion through their body language, which is a new challenge. 
This is probably my fifth attempt, which I did during lunch at the Nautilus diner. 
The waitress made a comment while I was in the bathroom about how it reflects self-esteem issues.  Good for her.  I'd be lying if I said that this wasn't true, but in my mind, they're more of a parody.  
Someone had told me that good art reflects the worst aspects of the artists' personality, and I would have to say that I was running with that ball.  Not to say that my intention was to make GREAT    ART   but own up to my stupid little neurosis'.  These little ladies, sterile nuns specifically, are caught up in repetitive activity that they are convinced is meaningful, although it doesn't make any sense.  
Now that that is out of the way, their more recent incarnations are less deathly serious, and more angelic.  I'm adding younger girls because everything was getting to homogeneous.
There are even bunnies.  Bunnies don't need any explanation.

No comments: