Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Yeah!  Vertical!!



I can't wait to upload Tobias' werewolf.  

Last week, I started teaching an after school program at Mt. Washington Elementary involving relief printmaking, or "stamp making".   Initially, it was a little alarming...considering a child stabbed himself five minutes into the class.    Soon, I realized that I'd be dealing with a room full of kids, aged 7-12 (when told at first that it would just be 4th and 5th graders) and they're all using knives.  The fear lasted about five minutes, thanks to Mom voice.  

Given it is an afterschool program, a lot of the kids don't want to be there, but everyone has at least tried it.  Today was the best session since they were able to print, some swapped plates with their friends and printed theirs.  Now the problem only is that they wanted to make more but we didn't have enough time.  

There's only one more session left, unfortunately.   This was the first time that I worked with my own lesson plan and selected my own materials.  It could be something I could easily get used to.   


Also, saw "Beautiful Losers" at MICA's Fall Film Series.  You should see it for Margaret Kilgallen---Margaret Kilgallen as she is working, more specifically.  She was so incredibly focused and engaged in her paintings and wanted them to be shared with the community, instead of antagonizing it.  I had seen an art book of hers a couple years ago and remember being impressed but actually watching her work, was inspiring.  She kept the whole film from getting horribly overblown.  

Poor Harmony Korine got a two minute segment on "Gummo", a couple of questions in the beginning, and random clips but he made them count.  But that still equaled more screen time than Jo Jackson, or any other female artists featured in the documentary.  

Bedtime now.  


1 comment:

lauren bender said...

<3 kilgallen <3 (and somehow i don't think she'd mind me using the <3)